WordPress hosting is ideal for those who want to run WordPress sites. It offers one-click CMS installation, better plugin management, automatic updates, and improved security. One crucial (and often overlooked) feature of WordPress and many other hosting solutions is the storage type.
There are two storage options: Hard Disk Drives (HDD) and Solid State Drives (SSD). HDDs are cheaper, so most HDD hosting solutions come at affordable prices. However, you get what you pay for in terms of performance, reliability, and data security. They are notoriously slow and crash a lot. To fix these issues, hosting companies began to offer SSD hosting plans.
SSDs offer better performance, faster data transfer, faster page loads, and more reliability. SSDs cost more than HDDs, so SSD hosting solutions typically cost more. Thanks to growing technology, it is now possible to get affordable SSD WordPress hosting. We’ve rounded up the ten best SSD WordPress hosting providers based on our research.
Key Points to Consider Before Choosing an SSD WordPress Hosting Provider
Here are five practical points to keep in mind when selecting an SSD WordPress hosting provider:
- Reliability: SSD hosting should, by default, provide reliable performance. However, you want to ensure the provider offers at least a 99.95% uptime guarantee.
- Security: WordPress hosting generally comes with tight security measures. However, some providers offer enhanced security solutions to harden your server defense.
- Customer support: SSD is not a replacement for quality customer support but rather a complement. So ensure your chosen provider offers helpful and knowledgeable customer support agents.
- Cost-effectiveness: SSD hosting is not cheap, but you don’t have to break the bank either. Many providers offer affordable SSD WordPress hosting plans with great features to give you the most bang for your buck.
- User-friendliness: WordPress hosting should be beginner friendly. We recommend you take some time during the trial or money-back period to check how easy the cPanel is for you. If you have issues finding your way around, you might need to check other providers.
The Best SSD WordPress Hosting Services of 2023 (Bought and Tested)
- Overall score: 5.0
- Features: 4.9
- Support: 5.0
- User Friendly: 5.0
- Pricing: 4.9
- Reliability: 4.9
Overall score – 5.0: HostArmada is our top SSD WordPress hosting provider for many reasons. Aside from the SSD plans, it offers a beginner-friendly cPanel, one-click installations, 24/7 technical support, a comprehensive WP server environment, and a 99.99% uptime guarantee.
Features – 4.9: You get all the features you need for a WordPress hosting plan, such as seamless CMS installation, security solutions, web server cache, free cPanel, SSL certification, and SSD cloud storage.
Support – 5.0: If you ever get stuck or have questions, you can contact the customer support team via live chat and phone. You can also contact them through the ticketing system.
User Friendly – 5.0: We wholeheartedly recommend HostArmada to beginners, especially those hosting their first website. They offer simplified processes for beginners. However, they still provide enough controls and features for developers.
Pricing – 4.9: SSD hosting isn’t supposed to be cheap, but HostArmada is one of the exceptions. You can get WordPress hosting plans for less than $3/mo (if you pay for a three-year contract). This plan allows you to host one website and offers 15 GB SSD Storage, 2 Core CPU, and 2 GB RAM.
Reliability – 4.9: With HostArmada, you can expect top-tier performance. They offer a 99.9% uptime guarantee, SSD cloud hosting, and a low client-server ratio.
Additional parameter – Optimum value for your money: If you have specific needs, you might find WordPress hosting providers that beat HostArmada in certain areas. However, it is hard to find the excellent all-around performance that HostArmada offers at great pricing. You get all the benefits of a cloud-shared hosting solution and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
HostArmada is famous for its excellent SSD cloud-based WordPress hosting plans at affordable pricing.
- Free migration
- Free SSL for all domains and subdomains
- Fast loading speed
- Impressive website performance
- Inexpensive hosting plans
- Round-the-clock, helpful customer support
- High renewal rates
- Some features are only available on higher-priced packages
- Overall score: 4.9
- Features: 4.9
- Support: 4.9
- User Friendly: 4.9
- Pricing: 5.0
- Reliability: 4.8
Overall score – 4.9: The last recommendation on our list is Verpex affordable WordPress hosting solutions. This SSD WordPress hosting provider offers top-tier hosting plans for less than a dollar per month!
Features – 4.9: This web host offers many great features, such as SSL certification, free domain registration and transfer, daily backups, WP-CLI for managing multiple sites, phpMyAdmin, and developer tools.
Support – 4.9: You can reach Vertex’s helpful and knowledgeable customer support team via phone and live chat. They offer 24/7 customer support to help resolve any issues you may have and answer your questions.
User Friendly – 4.9: Verpex is beginner-friendly and offers many features for easy installation and website management. Users can use the beginner-friendly website builder, one-click installs, instant updates, migration with expert support, and an easy-to-use control panel with Softaculous.
Pricing – 5.0: Verpex offers plans as low as $0.50/mo (renews at $5/mo). This plan provides hosting for one website and includes 10 GB Bandwidth, 1 GB SSD Disk Space and Free SSL Certificates. All the plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Reliability – 4.8: Verpex utilizes light-speed servers and optimized WP hosting solutions to ensure impressive round-the-clock performance. You also get a 99.99% uptime guarantee.
Additional parameter – Affordability: Verpex allows you to host WordPress websites with plans starting at less than $1. The best part is that you can lock in these low prices by going for longer-term contracts.
Verpex is better known for its affordable, fully optimized WordPress solutions, including freebies like SSL certification, daily backups, and cPanel.
- Very affordable pricing
- 24/7/365 expert WordPress hosting support
- 99.99% uptime guarantee
- Free domain transfer/registration
- Free SSL certification
- Free cPanel
- High renewal plans
- 99.50% uptime on the basic WordPress hosting plan
- Overall score: 4.8
- Features: 4.8
- Support: 4.9
- User Friendly: 4.8
- Pricing: 4.7
- Reliability: 4.8
Overall score – 4.8: FastComet has many great features, such as transparent pricing, ample resource allocation, and multiple data locations. Its best quality is its speed. With its SSD-only storage policy, Cloudflare CDN, and data locations in North America, Europe, and Asia, visitors will enjoy blazing loading speeds when they access your website.
Features – 4.8: All the WordPress hosting plans come with great features such as WordPress resource monitoring, one-click App Marketplace, easy-to-use client control area, FastGuard, and Cloudflare CDN. The highest tier shared hosting plan also offers extra caching layers, speed optimization, and the Varnish web accelerator.
Support – 4.9: This hosting provider provides round-the-clock expert customer support via mail, ticket, chats, and calls to ensure you don’t get bogged down by issues you can’t solve. The help section also includes over 3,000 tutorial pages to help you manage all aspects of your WordPress hosting.
User Friendly – 4.8: FastComet is easy to use, even for beginners. The cPanel is straightforward, and you can easily find everything you need. FastComet also offers one-click installations and enhanced plugin management.
Pricing – 4.7: FastComet offers low starting fees. You can get the most affordable WP hosting plan for $1.99/mo. This plan gives you 15 GB SSD Space, 2 CPU Cores, and 2 GB RAM. You should expect to pay higher when renewing hosting plans.
Reliability – 4.8: The performance from FastComet is top-notch, thanks to its integrated PC solutions, SSD-only cloud servers, RocketBooster, and Cloudflare CDN. All the plans also support Cloudflare’s global server deployment, which you can activate easily from the dashboard.
Additional parameter – Ten data locations plus CDN: We already know that SSD hosting provides fast loading speeds. FastComet also offers other features that make your WordPress website load blazingly fast. The first feature is the 10 data locations distributed across Asia, North America, and Europe. The closer your data location is to your audience, the faster the loading speed they will experience. The second feature is the free CDN on each plan. So even if you don’t have a data location in your target country, the CDN ensures that visitors from that country can still enjoy fast website loading speeds.
FastComet is famous for its SSD-only cloud servers, multiple data locations, and fast website loading speed.
- Incredible loading speeds and website performance
- Free daily backups, website migrations, and domain transfer
- Multiple data center locations worldwide
- 24/7/365 support channel
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Free CDN
- Higher renewal fees
- Some features are limited to higher-priced plans
- Overall score – 4.5
- Features – 4.5
- Support – 4.3
- User Friendly – 4.5
- Pricing – 4.8
- Reliability – 4.5
Overall score – 4.5: IONOS offers flexibility and free features like domain and SSL certification along with excellent managed WP hosting plans.
Features – 4.5: With IONOS, you will get fully optimized WordPress hosting plans with other great features such as WP-CLI control, SSH access, daily backups and recovery, free caching plugin, DDoS, and malware protection. You also get free SSL certification and free domain.
Support – 4.3: IONOS’s technical support team is available round the clock. You can contact human support agents or get self-help from its numerous guides and help centers.
User Friendly – 4.5: IONOS’s hosting plans are super friendly, and its managed WordPress hosting plans are no exception. You can install WordPress with a one-click install, manage your hosting encouragement and make upgrades with simple automated processes. You can also install plugins and change website themes often.
Pricing – 4.8: When it comes to low starting prices, IONOS shines. One of its plans starts at a ridiculous $0.5/mo (renews at $8/mo). For long-term usage, the essential plan is the cheapest. It costs only $3/mo (renews at $4/mo). It has a free domain for one year, 25 GB SSD storage, 2 MariaDB databases, and an auto updates option.
Reliability – 4.5: Performance is excellent thanks to its pure SSD hosting, a geo-redundant hosting platform, and free caching plugin. IONOS also offers a 99.97% uptime guarantee and ten ISO-certified data centers in Europe and the USA.
Additional parameter – Flexibility: IONOS makes it to our list thanks to its scalability features. You can seamlessly allocate more resources to your website during web traffic spikes or when you add more functionality. You can also reduce the resources if they get too much for your needs. If you want to change plans entirely, IONOS allows you to do so without interruptions or downtime.
IONOS is famous for its ten ISO-certified data centers in Europe and the USA and geo-redundant hosting platform.
- Multiple data center locations
- Free SSL certification
- Supports multiple website hosting
- Competitive pricing
- Money-back guarantee
- Popular among WordPress website owners
- Has a learning curve
- Backup is a paid add-on
- Overall score – 4.5
- Features – 4.0
- Support – 5.0
- User Friendly – 5.0
- Pricing – 3.5
- Reliability – 5.0
Overall score – 4.5: A2 Hosting offers excellent WordPress hosting solutions. Besides the regular WP-specific features like one-click installs, you also get optimized plugins, Cloudflare CDN, turbo servers, and PrestaShop sites.
Features – 4.0: This hosting provider offers optimized WP hosting solutions to deliver the best performance at surprisingly affordable rates. You have features like free website migration, SSL certification, a stable environment, regular backups, 24/7 server monitoring, and layers of encryption. All the plans also come with unlimited SSD storage.
Support – 5.0: A2 Hosting’s specialized support team, called Guru Crew Support, is available round the clock to resolve any issue and answer your questions. They will also assist you with website migration and Cloudflare Integration for free.
User Friendly – 5: A2 Hosting is very user-friendly. Beginners can enjoy hassle-free WordPress hosting thanks to its simple-to-use dashboard. A2 Hosting is also developer friendly and provides specific development frameworks. So if you are a developer looking for hosting plans optimized for Node.js, Python, and more, A2 Hosting has you covered.
Pricing 3.5: A2 Hosting offers incredible performance at great prices. It offers an anytime money-back guarantee. The provider will provide a pro-rata refund whenever you decide to leave. The cheapest plan costs $11.99 and includes hosting for 1 WordPress website, 50 GB SSD storage, free SSL certificate, turbo, free expert site migration, and onsite backups.
Reliability – 5.0: A2 Hosting offers fantastic round-the-clock performance thanks to its SSD-only servers and turbo feature with LiteSpeed. With A2 Hosting, you can enjoy an impressive 99.98% average uptime. You also get four data center locations in Europe, Asia, and the US. You can choose the one closest to your target audience for better website performance and faster loading times.
Additional parameter – Developer-specific Solutions: A2 Hosting supports specific development frameworks. So if you are a developer looking for Node.js or python specific hosting environments, then A2 Hosting is a great choice. With its optimized hosting software, free SSDs, and in-house turbo servers, you will experience faster website speeds than with mouse providers.
A2 Hosting is famous for its proprietary turbo servers, specific development environment or framework, and free SSDs.
- Anytime money-back policy
- Free SSL certificate
- Spam protection and Hackscan protection
- Unlimited SSD storage and bandwidth quota
- Free Cloudflare CDN and A2-optimized caching
- 24/7 support crew available
- No free domain
- No drag-and-drop website builder
- Overall score: 4.6
- Features: 4.6
- Support: 4.7
- User Friendly: 4.7
- Pricing: 4.6
- Reliability: 4.7
Overall score – 4.6: Cloudways offers ultra-fast speed, techie options, and great managed WP hosting plans.
Features – 4.6: Cloudways hosting features include SSD-only servers fully optimized for WordPress, one-click CMS install, WP monitoring, CDN, built-in cache, dedicated firewall, PHP versions, Breeze plugin, IP whitelisting, and optimized tech stack. So, whether you are a beginner or a developer, Cloudways packs enough features to make WP hosting a breeze.
Support – 4.7: There are two levels of support. Essential customer support is available round the clock to attend to all customers. Then there is the premium support add-on for those who want tailored support. There is also a community forum where you can ask questions and interact with other experienced users.
User Friendly – 4.7: Although Cloudways offers many developer tools and server setup options, it also makes its processes beginner friendly. Newbies can utilize the control panel, carry out their installations, and upgrade with one-click operations.
Pricing – 4.6: Cloudways has a wide array of hosting plans designed to suit individual needs. The basic plan costs $10/mo and provides hosting from DigitalOceans server, 1 GB RAM, one core processor, 25 GB storage, and 1 TB bandwidth.
Reliability – 4.7: Thanks to its impressive server setup, SSD hosting, built-in cache, free CDN, and Breeze plugin, you can experience round-the-clock solid performance. All the plans also come with a 99.99% uptime guarantee!
Additional parameter – Optimized tech stack: Cloudways offers blazing fast WordPress hosting. But that is not all. It also provides an optimized tech stack. Developers will enjoy a cocktail of Apache, NGINX, and PHP-FPM. They also get the option to choose between MySQL and MariaDB databases. Add that to its SSD-powered servers, and you have a modern hosting provider.
Cloudways is famous for its optimized tech stack, SSD-powered fast servers, and Cloudflare enterprise solution.
- Your choice of 5 popular cloud providers
- Optimized stack with Apache, PHP-FPM, and MariaDB
- Over 60 worldwide data center locations
- Complete flexibility and scalability
- Cloud-based high-performance infrastructure
- DDoS protection
- Many features come as paid add-ons
- No access to Plesk or cPanel
Ranking comparison between the Top Providers
Best SSD WordPress Hosting Services: Final Recommendations
We’ve come to the end of our roundup of the best SSD-based WordPress hosting providers of 2022. We hope you’ve found the best SSD hosting solution for your new or existing website.
If you are unsure of migrating, we recommend that you take advantage of the free trial period or money-back guarantee offered by the hosting providers. Some also offer free domain registration for one year. We highly recommend HostArmada for all-around performance. However, if you are focused on other criteria, then feel free to try out the different providers mentioned in this article.
How Do We Rank and How Should You Choose your SSD WordPress Hosting Provider?
- Types of WordPress Hosting Offered5%
- Uptime Commitment8%
- Speed Optimization9%
- Available Space and Bandwidth7%
- Scalability Options6%
- Ease of Use8%
- WP-Specific Support12%
- Developer Tools and Extras5%
- User Reviews30%
- Starting price3%
We rank web host providers based on an extensive list of factors. Each factor is assigned a percentage based on its importance in choosing a web host provider. Here is a rundown of the ranking factors.
- Types of WordPress Hosting Offered (5%): WordPress hosting comes in many varieties, such as shared, VPS, cloud, and dedicated (VDS) WordPress hosting. The more options a web host offers, the higher it ranks on our list.
- Uptime Commitment (8%): We are only impressed when a provider offers at least a 99.95% uptime guarantee.
- Speed Optimization (9%): We look for features that facilitate fast website loading speed, such as SSD-only servers, Cloudflare CDN, and multiple server locations.
- Available Space and Bandwidth (7%): SSD storage is a must for providers in this article. We also consider memory allocation and bandwidth allocation for each WordPress plan.
- Scalability Options (6%): We love it when web hosts make it easy for users to upgrade or downgrade their hosting plans or add more resources to their hosting plan without experiencing performance lag.
- Security (7%): We look at the security features offered by the provider, such as dedicated firewalls, malware scanning and removal, WP security solutions, and SSL certificates.
- Ease of Use (8%): WordPress hosting plans are primarily used by beginners and people who don’t have the time to handle the technical aspect of web hosting. We focus on beginner-friendly providers that offer one-click installs and updates.
- WP-Specific Support (12%): Aside from SSD storage, we also look for providers that offer specific WP features, such as a knowledgeable WordPress support team.
- Developer Tools and Extras (5%): Our reviews include a few web hosts that provide specified hosting environments and developer tools for websites that need these extra features.
- User Reviews (30%): We check customer reviews to have a clearer picture of what to expect from a provider over time.
- Starting price (3%): The starting price is usually lower than the renewal price, so make sure you know the renewal price before committing to a plan. You can also lock in a low starting price by committing to a lengthy subscription period.
How to Choose the Best SSD WordPress Hosting Provider
Here is a checklist of factors to look out for when selecting the best SSD WordPress hosting for your needs.
- SSD storage space: It is not enough for a provider to offer SSD storage. You want to ensure the storage space is enough for your needs. Some web hosts offer unlimited SSD hosting. However, that doesn’t mean you can use it as your personal cloud storage space. There are usually fair usage policies regarding unlimited storage, so read the fine print. You can contact customer support to get more information on this.
- Additional resources and uptime guarantee: SSD storage is a good start, but you also need other hosting resources such as bandwidth, RAM, and CPU computing power. You must ensure these resources come in sufficient amounts for your website needs. You also need an uptime guarantee that your server will perform well almost 100% of the time. We recommend only working with providers whose uptime guarantees do not go below 99.95%.
- Data center location: A data center close to your target audience will perform better than one far away. You want the data center location to be as close as possible to your target audience, preferably on the same continent.
- Scalability potential: As your website attracts more traffic and adds more functionality, you will require more hosting resources. That’s why we recommend you only work with hosts that allow you to easily add more resources and switch to higher plans when you have to.
- Budget: Many of the best SSD hosting providers offer affordable pricing. However, you want to ensure that the pricing is commensurate with the value of the hosting service. When calculating pricing, you should consider renewal prices and the cost of essential add-ons.
- Ease of use and customer support: All the great features and affordable pricing won’t do you any good if you don’t know how to use the hosting service. So before you fully commit to a web host, ensure the control panel is something you can use over time. You should also ensure that the customer support is up to date on WP hosting issues and responds on time. Most providers offer 24/7 support, so you can contact them anytime, regardless of your time zone.
What Is SSD WordPress Hosting and Who Is It For?
SSD WordPress hosting is a WordPress hosting solution that uses a type of computer storage called a Solid State Drive instead of a Hard Disk Drive.
SSD WordPress hosting offers:
- faster server performance,
- less mechanical faults,
- energy efficiency, and
- faster site loading speed.
However, these benefits do not come cheap. SSD drives cost more than the wallet-friendly Hard Disk Drives (HDDs). However, due to their increased performance and faster loading speed, you will get more ROI from SSD hosting than HDD hosting.
SSD hosting is for everyone who wants to deliver a better user experience to their web visitors and gain more organic web traffic. Search engines consider website loading speed as one of their ranking factors. And since SSD offers better loading times, using an SSD WordPress hosting solution will result in a higher search engine ranking.
You should use SSD hosting if:
- You want better website performance
- You want to rank higher on search engine results
- Your website requires a database
- You want to experience faster multitasking