Java Hosting in 2020– The Contenders for the Best Service Around
As an integral programming element of many web, IoT, smartphone and gaming applications, Java’s popularity isn’t set to decline anytime soon.
However, while Java is renowned for its compatibility with just about every type of OS, what doesn’t get as much attention is the fact that Java-based applications require servers that are optimized to run Java.
If you’ve already started to browse Java hosts, you might have noticed that Java-devoted hosting solutions can be hard to come by. Still, here are some of the more salient points to consider when choosing a Java host:
- Are you getting enough RAM in your plan?
- Does Java come preinstalled?
- Do you get root access?
- Are the resources included in your plan sufficient to run your application?
As we’ll talk about more in depth below, a Java plan may often simply be a general VPS or a dedicated plan. If you are going with either type of plan, it’s important to check beforehand that your server can be configured to support Java.
Read our expert review and then head onto our user reviews to get the full scoop on Java hosting today.
What is Java?
Java is an extremely popular programming language that is used in a variety of applications and devices. Created in the mid 90s and modeled after C and C++, Java is considered a secure, versatile and efficient programming language.
Today, Java is primarily used to construct applications, and indeed most web and smartphone applications use Java or a derivative of Java in their software.
Once Java programs are compiled into bytecode, the semi-virtual Java Virtual Machine program can execute the program on nearly every type of operating system – no matter what type of device the program was originally written on.
Why do You Need Java Hosting?
While you don’t necessarily need a web hosting solution that has the word “Java” tacked onto the title, you do need a host with servers that can be adapted to fit Java’s unique programming and resource needs.
Though there are some exceptions to the rule, shared hosting usually can’t be customized to, or provide enough bandwidth and storage to run your Java-built applications. Instead, VPS or dedicated plans offer the server customization and robust resources needed to run Java applications quickly and seamlessly.
For starters, VPS or dedicated plans let you download the Java Virtual Machine, without which you won’t be able to run any of your Java programs. As many VPS and dedicated plans offer root access, you also have the ability to enhance your server’s proficiency at handling Java by installing third-party apps or scripts on it.
Java-specific hosting plans make it even easier for you to program in Java by offering 1-click Java installations and frameworks like Tomcat for running JavaServer Pages and Java servlets.
What are the Benefits of Java Hosting?
- You have enough resources to run your Java applications seamlessly. Java hosting services take into account that Java requires more resources than other programming languages, and as a result its plans necessarily include more bandwidth, storage, and RAM. Though these resources do cost money, they’re a necessary investment if you want your Java application to perform well.
- Your servers are compatible with Java. As we mentioned above, VPS and dedicated servers give you root access to your server, which gives you the freedom to configure it for optimal Java use. You can install the JVM and applications server frameworks like GlassFish and Tomcat to give yourself a rich software environment in which to innovate with Java.
What Factors to Consider for Java Hosting
- Does it offer custom-built plans? At the end of the day, because you’re often choosing between VPS and dedicated plans and not necessarily between different Java hosts, you may sometimes be getting more or less features than you need to run your Java application. Customized plans let you pick and choose essential resources and tools so that you’re not wasting any money on excessive features.
- Is it secure? Though Java is regarded as one of the more secure programming languages, hackers can find their way in through the server if it’s not well-guarded. DDoS protection, daily backups, network monitoring and redundancy go a long way in making your Java application that much more secure.
- How does it rate in terms of speed and reliability? As with any type of hosting, load speed and uptimes are the features that determine whether your application sinks or swims. Java hosting solutions that are worth their salt will use SSD storage, CloudFlare CDN, caching and other optimizations to keep your Java application loading quickly. If a Java host doesn’t offer no-downtime server updates and Java application deployment it shouldn’t rank high on your list.
- Does it make it easy to program in Java? The added value of a Java host is that it should make it easier to write and run Java applications online. Hosts that offer 1-click Java installation or 1-click Java app installations will make it that much simpler to deploy your Java applications.
Choose the Best Java Web Hosting
If you’re creating any type of Java-based application, you’re going to need a web hosting solution that can be configured to support Java with the maximum efficiency and minimal hassle. Java web hosts, and many hosting solutions that offer VPS and dedicated plans, provide the servers and the service that will have your Java applications performing admirably 24/7.
To find the best Java hosting provider for you, see what our users are saying about the top Java hosting solutions.